8th December, School News Headlines Today: The morning assembly is a popular school tradition that requires all teachers and students to assemble on the school grounds or the hall at the start of the day.
The setup of the assembly isn’t defined and can vary from school to school, but the main activities remain unchanged. The principal delivers a speech, and students read out the daily news headlines. Talent shows, speeches, debates and role plays are performed as well.
Prayers, yoga and physical exercise can also be a component of the morning school assembly. However, today we bring you the latest news headlines which enhance awareness among the students about global and domestic affairs.
You can check out the news headlines for 8 December to be read during the morning school assembly below.
National News Headlines for Today’s School Assembly December 8
1) Congress Party’s Revanth Reddy took oath as the second chief minister of Telangana.
2) Meghalaya’s Lakadong turmeric was awarded the prestigious Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
3) Gujarat folk dance Garba was officially recognized by UNESCO, earning a coveted spot on the “Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.”
4) Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, HCL Corporation Chairperson Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Steel Authority Of India Chairperson Soma Mondal, and Biocon Executive Chairperson Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw secured places on the Forbes annual list of the World’s Most Powerful Women.
5) PM Modi released over ₹900 crore aid for Chennai as it suffers major floods due to cyclone Michaung.
International News for Today’s School Assembly
- American singer Taylor Swift was named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year for 2023.
- Indonesia planned to waive visas for 20 countries, including India and China to boost tourism.
- Israel slammed the UN Chief for invoking Article 99 over the threat to international peace and security due to war in Gaza.
- UK PM Rishi Sunak unveiled his new plan to stop immigration and deport asylum seekers to Rwanda.
- The only G7 nation to sign up for China’s Belt and Road initiative, Italy, backed out of the project.
Sports News for Today’s Assembly
- Former cricketers Sreesanth and Gautam Gambhir indulged in a bitter on-field spat during a match in the Legends League Cricket.
- Brian Lara predicted a tough job for Virat Kohli to equal Sachin Tendulkar’s 100-centuries tally.
- Argentina’s Lionel Messi won the 2023 Time Magazine Athlete of the Year award, with fans calling it a robbery for Novak Djokovic.
Important Days on 8 December
Thought of the Day
“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Gautam Buddha